Tuesday, August 01, 2006

but why not?

Remember the 4 lbs I lost in the first week at the gym. Well 6 weeks on I've actually gained a lb. I did have a week off for my holiday, during which I did eat my own bodyweight in cream teas and drank like a boozy fish, but since then I've been good-honest, guv. Not great- but the point is I've been to the gym at least three times a week since and the weight aint shifting. Tis a cruel world where tubbies like me have the unique talent for storing fat whilst simultaneously getting very fit.
I suddenly remember a period during my years dancing where I'd be doing at least two classes a day, plus rehearsals. I was attending lectures, working 30 hours a week as a silver service waitress and was living on a diet of booze and fags with a protein-only meal every two or three days. I was also nursing a recently shattered heart, due to the end of a long relationship. I managed to lose some weight then.
I am too old and too tired starve. Must I resign myself to being rotund forever? And I so wanted to poke someones eyes out with bony shoulders.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have just taken up exercise your weight will climb before it drops. It is easier to add muscle than lose fat and muscle weighs more. If you keep at it the flab will fall away.

Yours flabbily

Moobs

Anonymous said...

Don't weigh!!! Before I got pregnant I dropped to a positively sylph-like size 10 and PUT ON WEIGHT. Weighing is the work of the devil. There should be a slogan... NO WEIGH!
(Please note that I am now a big huge porker with a frightening jelly belly and balance has been restored to the universe. I just like telling people that I was once a size 10. SIZE 10!! That's, like, almost NOT THERE!)

Minks said...

moobie- if you're telling me the truth and not winding me up to laugh at my porkinson banger-arms- then I love you.
Norah. A SIZE 10?? I've heard of it but never actually 'seen' it.

Anonymous said...

Forget the scales... do your clothes feel more comfortable ? (less tight around the tummy and the thighs that sort of thing). That's where the gym helps, not so much on the weight, mainly on the shape.

Anonymous said...

I spend a lot of time thinking of taking up smoking again because of this - it made losing weight simple, just smoke until you're sick. I'm not going to, but god I'd like to.

Anonymous said...

I have to add voice to this not weighing thing too - go by your clothes and how you feel. And I have to agree with KE on the fags too.

Minks said...

its true the seams are less taut on most garments but I'll look like the hulk if I stay at this weight!!