Friday, July 28, 2006

breast get it over with

My baby no longer wants to breastfeed during the day. There's just too much to do and see and staring at a rumpled garment and a bit of flesh is no competition for the rest of the world. Instead Seth would prefer to drink all his milk between the hours of 6pm and 6am when its pretty dark and there's not much action in the house.
So, we're on the cusp stopping the breastfeeding completely. He will happily guzzle from a bottle during the day, and can get his comfort fix in other ways and from many other people as well as Mum.
Seth's world is expanding, and mine is inevitably shrinking.
I am sad that this part of our relationship is coming to an end. It signifies that my baby is growing up very fast. I associate breastfeeding with pregnancy and birth- the primal physicality of growing a life and nurturing. It is such a privilege, for which I will always be grateful. If I have no more children, I will cherish this unique time with them long after they run multinational companies and stop calling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm almost a little bit glad that breastfeeding didn't work for Baby E and I, because I think I would also have been sad when she gave it up.

Anonymous said...

Although my feeds are now far more infrequent than I'd like, breastfeeding is still something I do try and indulge in of a weekend.