Friday, September 01, 2006

there's nowt quite like a good bab

The subject matter of this entry is quite explicit. Those of a delicate disposition may wish to avoid it.
Poor old Ezzie is having difficulty pooing in his potty. As in, he won't do it. Every night at the same time just before bed we encourage him to sit on his potty while John reads him a story. The potty remains empty and Ezzie puts on his bedtime nappy. Within seconds he emerges from his bedroom shouting "done poo mummy."
Its got to the stage where he can come into us with his nappy in his hand, wipe his own bottom and put it all in the bin. He's trying so hard to do the right thing but he just won't go on the po.
I'm at a loss. Doing some intensive internet research on potty problems has revealed that this is quite a common problem. What alarms me is that some children as old as 5 are still doing a poo in their pull-ups!!
We've followed all the advice, rewarding potty activity, ignoring accidents. He's observed both parents pooing- he's watched his friends do it. We've talked about how great pooing is, we've ignored the subject completely. We've offered bribes, rewards and even drawn pictures.
We've got to crack this one but I'm just lost as to what to do now. Its yet another baffling episode in child-rearing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you should just keep the nappy off him (and suffer the possible accidents). It might be that he waits for the nappy to be put on him, because needs to feel 'surrounded' to relax enough to poo. All his life there has always been a soft nappy at his bottom when he does. I imagine for a littl'un, doing a poo with a bare bottom (sans nappy) must feel as weird as for us doing one with (I don't remember back that far, so don't ask).

Of course I really ought to point out that I do not have kids and so this is entirely a lay person, non-parent (and therefore wholly unqualified) suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I suffered from "performance anxiety" as a kid and found that I couldn't poo with someone sat next to me waiting for it to happen. Perhaps it is the parental presence that is causing the problem.

Though I may be uniquely hung up!

Anonymous said...

i've got an awful image in my head of Jimi pooing

Minks said...

thanks chaps. Cookie, his in indeed waiting to have a nappy on- however, if we didn't ever put a nappy on we would have some very dirty sheets (he only wears a nappy to go to bed)
Moobie, will try giving him some space.
Anon- it is an awful reality.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine is going through the same thing with her little boy right now. Whenever he needs to have a poo, he comes and asks her for a nappy, puts it on, does his thing and gives it back to her. She has decided to let him do it this way and not pressure him - she figures once he starts preschool (or whatever it is now) then he'll learn from the others. I have no idea whether this is a) working or b) a good idea or not, but at least you're not alone.

Anonymous said...

I am having the exact same problem with my little girl. We have peeing down to an art, hardley any accidents at all but she will not go poop on the potty. It can be so fustrating but at the same time I feel so sorry for her because I know she want's to do it.
If you figure anything that works could you please please email me and let me know??
Thanks and good luck!

clarey b said...

At least you've started the whole ghastly process! We have yet to tackle it in this household... If it's any consolation a friend's 3 and a half year old is exactly the same and will only poo in a nappy. As my grandpa used to say though 'You don't see many 21 year olds wearing nappies...!' xx