Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hoegaarden, baking and creche

First off- I have discovered the very expensive and very poncy (in John's opinion) Hoegaarden. Big thick glasses and a pleasing cloudy lemonade colour. It goes down a treat with Bubbalicious (long story.)
Next- I am baking my second chocolate loaf cake this week. If I may say so myself, my first was stupendous (obviously a fluke) so this one will inevitably be the same density as stone and will taste of raw flour and burnt chocolate. I aint no Nigella. Thank God. No one should go that long without washing their hair.
Finally- I have caught the Man-flu which has plagued all three men in this house (and one male friend), plus I drank 4 pints of Hoegaarden and ate a kebab last night, meaning that I flopped around like a dying swan this morning, before getting it together sufficiently to drop the lads off at the creche. Its Seth's first time- Ez has been before when I was pregnant. I felt a bit dangerous- leaving them both at the same time felt like a gamble, if something happened up in that small room I'd be left childless.
Nevertheless, I issued instructions to a very competent carer who swept Seth off to play in a squishy ring- whilst Ezra busied himself making an omelette (we're really going to have to buy one of those pretend kitchens.)
I chewed my nails and watched the clock for an agonising 45 minutes, before dashing back to receive a lukewarm reception.
And that's what its all about, isn't it? Preparing them to enjoy the world without you. *sob*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I'm a big fan ofthe old Ho-harden. Two downsides are:

(1) Your friends bitterly resent getting their round in; and

(2) Certain barmen insist on dropping a chunk of lemon into it

Anonymous said...

Will you be taking on from me with making the Chocolate Cake for Xmas as I do ot think I could stand the competition and perfection