Saturday, May 20, 2006

in the potty

Do not read unless you have, are, or are planning to potty train someone. For everyone else this entry will be incredibly tedious and dull. What do you mean all my entries normally are?

Anyway, an ovelwhelming desire to be naked (Ez, not me) is advantageous when potty training in the house. A little embarrassing outdoors, but not unmanageable.
I underestimated how long it would take for Ez to get the hang of the outdoors bit. I had read somewhere that it would take about a week to do basic potty training. Further clarification from my sister confirms that it will be about 4-6 months before Ezra is fully functional. I might've been a tad ambitious and I am concerned about my expectations for Ezra and any academic pursuits.
So, our first week has gone remarkably well. When we are at home, all wee's now end up in the potty. Poo's are normally adjacent to it, though their conception does take place on the potty. Hearing a plop is a good signifier to get up, and potty's don't have a satisfying splash pool to confirm that the target has been hit.
Outdoors are another matter. "Wee, Mummy" can often be followed by "drink mummy. Ooooh sparkly. Car, Mummy!" and before we know it there's a wet patch growing (and by the way. 10 pairs of underpants for 3 pounds at Primark! Perfect.) However, Ez is learning and the accidents are much less frequent.
I am tempted to start Seth now!

2 comments:

Glowstars said...

Am not sure whether I'm scared or inspired - still thing you're v v brave to have already started. Think I might wait till Tommy plonks himself on the loo himself!

Anonymous said...

I have been putting Ella on as well, its a bit early (she's 19 months) but she tells me every time she has to go so I thought why not.
The only problem is that now it is a total game to her. She screams "pee pee potty" , I come running and than when I get to her she says "no pee pee potty mommy" and walks away giggling.
*glares at the memory*
I think this should be interesting.
I have heared that boys are a bit easier though.
Good luck