Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Hot babies, small toddlers

The big one hasn't grown since his last asthma attack meaning his height is again cause for some concern. Right from my first visit to the health visitor, I've received worried side glances and words of cautious concern from health professionals about Ezra's weight, and later height.
We even visited the pediatrician to be told that he was 'short, but ok' and left with a request to monitor his height.
Its true that the steroids he received in hospital could've recently halted his growth, and the constant colds may've inhibited his growth over his short life, but I am a bit tired of feeling worried about it.
He is developing normally in all other respects, his diet is much improved and he now sleeps for at least 11 hours at night (I say this because lack of sleep can inhibit growth.)
He is much smaller than his peers, and I am fed up of having to explain to strangers the lads aren't 'Irish twins' and Ezra is infact two and a bit. ( that people comment on how close they are in age is so rude- they look at you as if to say "Harlot! You couldn't keep your knickers on for five minutes")
Only time will tell whether there is an underlying issue, or whether he'll suddenly shoot up and be fine (if a little shorter than the average man), but its the waiting that's so hard to do.
In other news, its baking hot isn't it? Who's betting it won't pour with rain during our entire holiday next week?
Not to be completely miserable, I have attended the gym 4 times, conquered the cross trainer and have lost 4 pounds. Thats a pound a visit.

4 comments:

Fashion Detective said...

Well done on the gym babe. You're doing everything you can re: Ez and he's such a bright button. Those same nosey parkers think Eliott is a giant mute - the boys will show them when they are older to be sure! x x

Anonymous said...

Harlot! (Ha! You love it, don't you? Oh, er, sorry - I would. These days I'm always covered in spitup and pureed peas and the very idea of someone thinking I could manage the effort to be a harlot would warm my heart.)

I'm sure he will shoot up and be fine - I'm annoyed by health professionals making worried noises about things like this when they happen to so many children - but I know that doesn't make you feel better. Good luck to all of you. xx

Minks said...

Kate- I'd love it if it were true!
Jo- Starsky and Hutch will have to stick together

Anonymous said...

Ha, Irish twins, I love it, never heard that before but in fact, is probably what people think about my boys as they are such divergent sizes that Daniel looks about 9 months older than Michael. Don't know, if that's any comfort for Ez, but doctors here seem to think that both tiny M and enormous D are within the range of normal, opposite ends of normal though..