Friday, October 20, 2006

urgh

I was going to blog about being skint and having to use my nectar points to pay for my shopping until I realised two things
a. This is so incredibly boring read and highlights how small my world has become.
b. The fact that I could use my nectar points for my shopping shows how much we spend on food in the first place.
So, instead I'll drivel on about how our Seth woke up a record six times last night. He's got separation anxiety and is very distressed by our refusal to let him sleep with us/jump all over us.
Now, radically, I don't mind the lads sleeping with me on occasion. Daytime naps together are the most delicious treat and best kept secret. I can sometimes sleep much better when they are purring peacefully next to me. However, our bed isn't big enough for us all, and so John usually finds himself on the sofa. In addition, their sleep cycles are very different from an adults, and they wiggle and wriggle, and chatter and get up and walk/crawl around the bed before settling back down. This is very annoying- especially as I find it difficult to get back to sleep once I've woken up.
And really, I know the value of independence and self soothing. They really should sleep alone in their own beds. People might start asking questions if we're all still bedding down together when they're in their twenties.
So, mostly the lads are in their room and we are in ours. Amazingly Ez now sleeps like a top and we don't usually hear a peep from him until morning (a very early morning mind you)
They only climb in with us when they are sick, have wet the bed, or we are just too damned tired to keep getting up to comfort Seth back to sleep.
Except that that boy is canny and clever and knows that if he wakes every hour or so and cries loud enough and for long enough eventually he will get his own way and will spend the majority of the night either in our arms or in our bed.
Well- I'm wise to that kid. More importantly, I've had enough of being being 'The Most Tired Person In Tooting' (yes, John-I am more tired than you. *FACT*)
So, like all parents who never learn their lesson and foolishly believe they can take back control, I'm helping Seth go cold turkey. Again. I wonder how many times I'm going to tackle this sleeping issue, and even if its worth it. Still- it makes me and John feel better to at least try. Its getting embarrassing, watching a grown man cry every morning.
I'll see you in three days, when my eardrums have burst, my heart has broken and Seth has damaged vocal chords from all that crying. But, at least he'll be sleeping in his own bed, and hopefully putting himself back to sleep on occasion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh god oh god oh god. Minks. You poor thing. I am in complete denial and have decided that when the time comes, Splogsprog will decide that she'd much sooner sleep in her own bed. Oh yes she will. Either that or she'll still be in with us in her twenties.