Thursday, January 18, 2007

interaction

We visited the health visitor today (who noticed my weight loss and commented on how healthy I look. I smiled- instead of telling her I feel deathly.)
Boys weighed and measured.
Ez has grown 2.5cms since the last measure up. Seth has grown, but not much. The irony being that Seth is exactly the same height that Ez was when he was one. I was tearing my hair out with worry at Ezzie's littledom, provoked by worrying HV's who scanned my behaviour for signs of cruelty and nutritional befuddlement.
I am not in the slightest bit worried about Seth. True he weighs more and will eat practically anything, but I am also an old hand now at spotting signs of 'health versus illness' and that boy is fit as a fiddle (he will now be struck down with some mystery illness)
I am aware that Seth has no interest in verbal communication. He can emit blood curdling screams on demand, and points at everything, but has lost all interest in babble. mama dada have disappeared. Other than some shushy whispers and grunts when he points, he is NOT BOTHERED.
It is wrong to compare, but it is inevitable, given that they are so similar in age- and they live in my house. At this age Ez was attempting to copy most words, he tried to sing the lyrics to songs and was proficient in calling Dad dadaaaa, by this stage. Seth is NOT BOTHERED.
There is evidence to suggest younger siblings speak later, so maybe it'll be a while before he gets going- I just wish he'd hurry up and get rid of that bloody scream. (which is so loud my neighbours upstairs have taken to banging on their floor. I will kill them the next time they dare)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do your neighbours actually imagine you're going to do after they've banged on the floor? Gag your child? Shove him in a cupboard?

Anonymous said...

It's hilarious how much more relaxed mothers are about child #2. It makes me wonder how subsequent siblings manage to thrive, as no doubt by child #4 you're down to "Ah, I'm sure he'll be fine without food this week" etc etc.

Minks said...

Heather- they will not live to ask themselves that question
KE-absolutely!

princessfairytoes said...

health vistors are trainned in the "art" of undermining the small amount of self confidence you have, and then squashing it into a matchbox, with a single comment