Monday, April 03, 2006

Didn't you know I'd gone mad?

So the twitching woman said to her GP. Humour speckled the consultation and it helped both of us talk about a difficult matter. Well, difficult for me anyway. He scanned my notes on screen and asked a few basic questions, like do I feel like harming myself or my children (no), and am I sleeping (no).
He then offered to book an emergency session with a counselor this week to determine whether counseling will help, and suggested we get together after that to make a plan of action. If counseling isn't the right course, then a referral to psych and medication may be on the cards.
He explained what he thought was happening to me. A reaction to a number of things, both physiological and otherwise. The c-section, the near-death thing and Ezra's hospitalization. Family concerns, chemicals and hormones. Expectations and loss combined.
I felt relieved to be heard and understood. He knows me well enough to know that I am a practical sort, and I need a helping hand to sort things out. He was kind enough to extend one.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's good. better than someone who just scribbles a prescription and shoos you out the door or who dismisses your feelings. Hope things get sorted and you feel solid again soon.

Minks said...

thanks cookie. Solid sounds good to me

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for that.

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! Shall I cancel the hit I organised on your locum or would you like me to let that run?

Anonymous said...

That's great that he actually listened.
Onto feeling solid :)

clarey b said...

Well said Blod... Minks, you are doing all the right things! Be kind to yourself love. You deserve it xx

Anonymous said...

Pat on the back for the GP. Hope the counsellor does their stuff too. And well done you for talking.

Anonymous said...

I am glad the doctor is actually listening and taking your seriously.
Some doctors are such losers....
I hope now you can get whatever help you need to feel better!!!!
Go Minks!

Anonymous said...

Yay, good for you.

Fashion Detective said...

Hurah for doctor R - but most of all for you. x